A middle of the road solution for SoapUI in Java

At work we use the free version of SoapUI. It works fine, but this version lacks one essential thing: reporting. Assuming we’d run a test suite of 250 test steps with the test runner, logging turned on. Let’s say 15 test steps fail. We’d have to visually detect the 15 failed steps in the directory containing 250 files. We’d then have to open them one by one in order to see what we sent and which response we received. An inefficient and error-prone process.
I first wanted to solve this by making a Junit test to invoke the SoapUI test runner and sequentially generate some readable reports. However, there were three major cons: usability, functional laziness, time. There are a few testers at work who know how to read and write Java. The others who can’t, wouldn’t be able to make a similar suite. They’d have to ask me to custom build something for them. No way. Thirdly, importing all the jars and dependencies was a heck of a job, I gave up not even halfway through.

So my generic middle of the road solution was to make a SoapUI reporting tool in Java. It lets you define the log file directory and the output directory (the place you want to store your report). It takes all the information from the SoapUI log file directory and turns it into a readable report. I’ve chosen to implement five formats; text, word, excel, HTML and XML. I’ve converted the jar to an executable. Now anyone at work can run a test suite in SoapUI and generate a report without having to fiddle with Junit.

Screenshot

Screenshot

 

HTML

HTML

 

XML

XML

Tagged on: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *